Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Favorite Albums

When I wrote about Arjunaru Villu... being my #1 workout song, I mentioned that I also loved listening to it while driving. And I do listen to it often while driving, the reason being that I like all the songs in Gilli. So I actively seek out the CD with Gilli songs and pop it into the CD player, knowing that I'm not gonna skip over any of the songs. But I've realized that that doesn't happen with a lot of other CDs.

A film's music has a rather short life for me. I rarely go back and listen to older songs whether in my car or on the iPod(connected to the stereo system) at home. Right now the only songs I listen to are the ones from Pachaikkili Muthucharam, Mozhi, Sivaji and Chennai 600028 but I can't say that 6 months from now, I will specifically go looking for songs from any of these movies, to listen to. I'm sure that the songs from other new movies - and there are a few to look forward to - will catch my fancy and take over my playlist.

The other reason I don't listen to songs from older movies is that I get saturated with them. If I like a movie's album, the songs are almost in repeat mode on all my players and I end up listening to them 2 or 3 times every single day (and more when I go on a long drive). So I get my fill of them and don't go back to them unless I really love them. And since I hate skipping over songs, I must like every single song in a film's soundtrack for me to go looking for that film's audio CD and start listening to it.

That said, there are a few albums that I've found that I keep going back to repeatedly. Based solely on the number of times I've listened to them, I picked the top 5 and I guess I could call these my 5 favorite albums in the last 5 years or so.

#5 - Parthiban Kanavu
Vidyasagar's albums always have something for everyone and are quite eclectic in the genres of songs. Just that in Parthiban Kanavu, the songs in each of the genres turned to be among the best in that genre.

#4 - Raam
Aaraariraaro... would count among my all-time favorite songs. Wonderful lyrics and a simple tune make it soulful and I forget myself each time I listen to it. But the Raam soundtrack surrounds this fantastic number with more great songs.

#3 - Pudhuppettai
Though I've heard it so many times, nothing would change in my review of the soundtrack if I wrote it today. One of Yuvan's best albums, it is very experimental(which I usually don't end up liking) but still great.

#2 - Vettaiyaadu Vilaiyaadu
This album is a dream come true for lovers of melody. Every song, barring one, is a wonderful melody (this might be the only album where even the hero's introduction number is a melody!) and very catchy and likeable.

#1 - Chellame
Picking the first was actually the easiest task on this list. Chellame is an amazing album where every single song is catchy, wonderfully sung and has terrific lyrics. I think it might be the only album where I liked every song on the first listen itself and still like them.

18 Comments:

At 7:50 PM, Blogger D.E.V said...

There also films which i still can listen to all the songs over and over again...

1)Samurai
2)Manmadhan
3)Malai
4)Kakka Kakka
5)Arindhum Ariyavalum

 
At 8:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

1.Mounam Pesiadhe
2.Pudupet
3.Pattiyal
4.Raam
5.Paruthi Veeran

Rajesh

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger Orange Fronkey said...

1. Arinthum Ariyaamalum (I just love this album)

2. Nenjil jil jil (catchy songs)

3. 4 students

4. kaaka kaaka

5. 12B

 
At 11:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The last 5 years, huh?!.. Well, if that's the case, then I'd say..

5.Pattiyal
4.Ghilli
3.Arindhum Ariyaamalum
2.Boys (can't get over Girlfriend even now! :-)
1.Aaydha Ezhuththu (love Yaakkai Thiri too much! :-)

(Interesting how I don't have a single Harris album in this list.. I burn out on Harris very soon for some reason. But then again, why go for store brand (Harris) (just because it's cheaper) when you have name brand (ARR) (costlier, takes a long while to hit shelves, but lasts longer and works better! :-) ;-)

Beyond the 5 year mark:

Dheena (one of Yuvan's finest soundtracks ever! :-),

Ullaasam (Saw the movie on Sun this afternoon and felt, that if anything, it is indeed Karthik Raja who was showing important signs of becoming the next big thing from the Ilaiyaraja family.. turned out ego, bad decision making, and depression (some web sources say!) all pushed his career to go south! :-( Indeed a pity!

Kandukondaen Kandukondaen: (the album that bore that ARR-Shankar Mahadevan evergreen song "Enna Solla Pogiraai" Still get goosebumps hearing that song! :-)

Poovellaam Un Vaasam: Whether it is Kaadhal Vandhadhum, Thaalaattum Kaatre Vaa or Pudhu Malar Thottu.. Vidyasagar was slam dunking every song this particular year and in this particular album. May not be a masterpiece album overall, but one of VS' most accomplished! :-)

 
At 12:21 AM, Blogger vICkNeS said...

My top 5 will be...

1. Ram
2. Ullam Ketkume
3. Kakka Kakka
4. 7G Rainbow Colony
5. Pattiyal

 
At 2:31 AM, Blogger Srivatsan Sridharan said...

Glad that there was atleast one VidhyaSaagar movie in the list :-)

 
At 4:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well most of my favourite albums are beyond 5 years old. One reason for the entire album to be good needs a good combination and chemistry between the director and Music director. These most of them tune to please everyone and include every genre of song irrespective of the type of narration. Some like the fast number and some the melody ones, rarely the whole album.

My list,

Mouna Ragam
Idhaya Koil
Alaipayuthe
Shahjahan
Dheena

-KP

 
At 7:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

New Albums
Minnale
Saamy
Aaru
Anniyan
Gajini

Rukmani R.

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger Anupama said...

Here are my favorites from the last 5 years:
1. Ayudha ezhuthu
2. Veyyil. I love urugudhey marugudhey especially
3. Kanda Naal Mudhal.
4. Jillunnu Oru Kaadhal. Munbe Vaa is a favorite.
5. Anbe Sivam / Chandramukhi / Kadhal Konden share the 5th spot

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger Filbert said...

Balaji,
It is so true what you said about how we don't even care to listen to songs that are more than 6 months old. The shelf life of the songs these days is less than 3 months, I would say. And it is indeed a rarity to have all the songs in an album listenable (or non-skippable)

My list would look something like (in no particular order)

Raam
Vasoolraja MBBS
Pudhupettai
Kaakka Kaakka
Ullam Kaettkume

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Dependsmaybe said...

is it a coincidence that most of the albums stated here are by YSR/HJ and illaiyaraja? no ARR???

 
At 2:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sudheer, should not be a coincidence or surprise that ARR doesn't figure in most lists.. He has scored a lot less than other music directors in the same timeframe and the gems are fewer and farther between.

But indeed, the gems (regardless of time or tide) are what count for some of us, if not for others! :-)

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger Me too said...

Even during the cassette only days, I used to buy a movie album only if I liked all the songs in it! You can imagine my horror when I learnt about Music Singles!

Anyway, my favourites are

Kaaka Kaaka
Kanda naal mudhal
Raam
Kaadhal
Dishyum

 
At 10:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

My favorite all time albums where all the songs are great are

1.Kavikuyil
2.Chittukuruvi
3.Thendrale Ennai Thodu
4.Azage Unnai Aradhikkiren
5.Alaigal Oivadhillai
6.Ninaithale Inikkum
7.Payanangal Mudivathillai
8.Agni Natchathiram
9.Jhonny
10.Ullasa Paravaigal
11.Bhuvana Oru ?
12.Ninaivellam Nithya
13.Salangai Oli
and so on...

Rajesh

 
At 8:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chellamae?

I wonder how do you like Kummiadi song. I thought only ladies will only like this song :lol:

 
At 8:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good choices, bb...enaku enamo chellamey avlo perisa pudikala for some strange reason...

my fav albums in recent years:

Kaaka Kaaka
Dhooll
Raam
Vettaiyaadu Vilaiyaadu
Pachaikili...
Parthiban Kanavu
Mozhi
7/G Rainbow Colony
Kadhal Konden
Pithamagan
Nanda
Ey! Nee Romba Azhagaa Irukkey...
Manmadhan
...

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Ganesh said...

Sorry,
A bit off the topic.This's regarding our cinema representation in Orkut.
See the unity of Telugu and Tamil cinema buffs here:
http://www.orkut.com/Community.aspx?cmm=25834994
That's a site dedicated to T.Rajendhar,Vijaykanth(Worst Tamil actors.) and Balakrishna.(Worst Telugu actor.)
Regarding our 'legends',A.R.Rehman is the true 'Ulaga Nayagan',as his fanclub has 1,98,00+ members.
http://www.orkut.com/Community.aspx?cmm=16502
As for our top heroes,
Kamal(30,000+) has more fans than Rajini.(25,000+)
In Telugu Chiranjeevi has highest.(27000+),close to him are not senior heroes like Venkatesh or Nagarjuna,but a young hero Mahesh Babu.(26,000+)Remember Pokiri?(I'm also a member of his fanclub.)
So Kamal Hassan has more Orkut fans than the 3 'mass-crowdpullers'(Mahesh too incl. as his Pokiri was a very big hit.), thus proving that he's more fans among the 'educated-tech-savvy' guys!
http://www.orkut.com/Community.aspx?cmm=104675 (Rajini fanclub.)
http://www.orkut.com/Community.aspx?cmm=53690 (Kamal fanclub.)
http://www.orkut.com/Community.aspx?cmm=39425 (Chiranjeevi fanclub.)
http://www.orkut.com/Community.aspx?cmm=192278 (Mahesh Babu fanclub.)
Even more shocking news:Mani Ratnam(34,000+) has more fans in Orkut than Kamal,Chiranjeevi,Mahesh or Rajini!See this:
http://www.orkut.com/Community.aspx?cmm=75814
Isn't it surprising that A.R.Rehaman has more no. of fans than that of his mentor (Maniratnam),a superstar,a megastar,an 'Ulaga Nayagan' and a rising superstar's fans put together?

 
At 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ganesh, i dont mean to be rude but i really think you should post more pertinent comments for the blogposts...i almost feel bad u take pains to provide all these links but no one has the time to look at so much stuff, that too stuff that comes out of the blue and totally unrelated to the main topics of discussion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home