Thursday, November 24, 2005

Happy Birthday Mrs. Y.G.P

[Pic Courtesy The Hindu]

I went to school at Padma Seshadri Bala Bhavan(or PSBB, as it is more popularly known) and I have rather fond memories of the school since I spent my entire school life - from LKG to Class XII - there. Among those were some of the best years of my life. More importantly, the friends I earned and the lessons I learned there shaped me and laid the foundation for who I am and where I have ended up today.

PSBB's principal is Mrs. Y.G.Parthasarathy. Since I went to the K.K.Nagar branch of the school, glimpses of Mrs. Y.G.P were pretty rare. But she was always an invisible presence hovering over the school. I used to give her a wide berth on the occasions we met her and a stern glance from her was enough to send even the naughtiest kid scurrying away to safety. But it was always clear that giving the kids a good education was her topmost priority and I was always amazed at the number of kids whose names she remembered.

Mrs. Y.G.P's 80th birthday is coming up and is going to be deservedly celebrated in a rather big way(thats especially impressive if you consider that she is neither an actress nor a politician!). The school's alumni are conducting some community welfare programs to commemorate her birthday. The birthday itself is being celebrated at AVM Rajeswari Kalyana Mandapam with a music program, a short film about her directed by S.P.Muthuraman, the release of her biography and speeches by the likes of scientist M.S.Swaminathan, Cho and N. Ram. The music program will feature Anuradha Sriram, who is an alumni too (she was in the batch before me and I still remember her singing Aayarpaadi Maaligaiyil... at the school assembly.)

Happy birthday Mrs.Y.G.P... And thank you.

7 Comments:

At 10:37 PM, Blogger narayanan said...

Man I never knew when her birthday was, what a poor GK :(. I too spent my golden 14 years there (the last 2 years in a classroom right in front of Mrs YGP's office).

I respect and admire her for the guts in bringing a school that merely started below thatched sheds in 1957 to what it's today. Rezpect Lady.

a stern glance from her was enough to send even the naughtiest kid scurrying away to safety.

Would you even believe she granted a half day off for the India-Pakistan 1996 World Cup Quaterfinal ;-), when one of the guys went bold enough to request on that day's prayer and she surprisingly granted without much ado :).

-narayanan

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Balaji said...

narayanan, so we're same-school buddies huh? :)

i too didn't know when her bday was till i saw the article :) but u're right. she deserves a lot of respect...

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger narayanan said...

Yup I was in TPRoad/Main all those 14 golden years :)

BTW one curious question, when did KKN branch actually start? All this while I've been thinking it was 1983 (or was it expanded that year to what how it look currently?)

-narayanan

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger Balaji said...

narayanan, not sure when it started. i started going there from my 3rd std. which was in '79 :)

 
At 5:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Balaji, I started going to the KK.Nagar branch from 78 onwards ...spent all my 14 years there. What a great school, savored every moment! Last heard YGP built swimming pools and some more facilities.. but the the school looks a little crowded (the D-G sections now run till P and Q..so u can imagine!) And they'd removed the "Shri Gurbyo namaha and Sukhi Bhava" thingie they introduced in 1988! Apparently some naughty kids made it "Shri Gurubyo Yamaha and Suzuki Bhava" :) so they scrapped it up. I dont know YGP that well but I loved having Hamsa Ramdoss as a principal..oh btw my neighbor gave me the news last month, GiGo is the princi now!
Shwetha Ram
(ps: Anuradha sang Vaan megam at the 12th farewell in her batch, which u mustve heard too..that was also pretty darn good!)

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger Ramya Shankar said...

Sri gurubhyo namaha! It feels so good to see all my super dooper seniors in the blogosphere... i passed out this year from the kkn branch as the cul sec

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Renuka Mahadevan said...

hi, balaji,
I am moved by reading your blogs. My mail Id is arm.mahan@gmail.com. My contact with PSBB KK Nagar began in the year 1982, after my marriage ,as I have to pass through your school invariably to visit my in-laws who are residing in KK Nagar.I, therefore have seen your school at all point of time be the morning, mid day or evening. I used to stop a while near the school and watch the students, I enjoyed every moment of it and decided that my daughters will get educated in your school but due to my job it could not happen, however fortunately my second daughter joined the school in 11th and completed in flying colors. She was recipient of many awards including NTSE scholarship. Currently she is working in US after completing MS over there. All these were the reason for me to persuade my elder daughter and son in law to shift to Chennai from UK for getting my grand son admitted in PSBB as they have their own flat in KK Nagar and for all practical reason PSBB is an ideal choice. With all hopes I submitted an application for admission to Pre-KG for my grand son, but the hopes have been dashed off Just now I received a rejection letter from the School. I therefore consider ,you all a fortunate lot of students to have studied in PSBB. I am writing this only to let of my feelings and also with a hope that I should get an opportunity to educate my grand son in PSBB. Wishing you all the best in your life and career.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home