Monday, April 18, 2005

VNTY LCNSE PLTS

I'm not sure if the concept of vanity license plates exists in other countries. Here in the US, the name refers to specialized plates you can get from the Motor Vehicles Bureau(for a price ofcourse) that have the letters you want. So people order license plates that mean something and since they are restricted to seven letters or less, they end up being quite cryptic and/or quite clever (I know people in India can pay more to get different plates than the one they have been assigned. This allows them to get plates where the numbers add up to be numerogically favorable).

My car does not have vanity license plates but one of my hobbies while driving is trying to interpret what the vanity plates on other cars are saying. Most are decipherable though some, which may have a completely personal meaning to the vehicle's owners, leave me scratching my head. On my way to work this morning I came across one which I thought was really clever. The car was an Audi A6 and though I didn't see the driver, I think I can safely assume he was an Indian named Aditya. The license plate on the car read AUDITYA. Thats one of the cleverest plates I've seen in a while...

PS: One of Seinfeld's most hilarious episodes involved a mix-up of vanity license plates named ASSMAN!

7 Comments:

At 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this reminded me of a quote seen on the back of a motor cyclist's coat- "If you can read this, then the b__ch fell off!"

 
At 7:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My ex-manager had his old plates in his office--GRUNOZ

Figure it out?

 
At 10:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

GRUNOZ - are you nosy??

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger Balaji said...

grew nose? (as in pinocchio!)

 
At 12:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"My ex-manager had his old plates in his office--GRUNOZ"

What was his name, btw? Grunoz definitely sounds a German name :-)

 
At 7:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Gee, are you nosy". Ram got it.

When somebody asked him what it meant, he'd just say "Gee, are you nosy?" Some people would still not get it and ask him why he was being rude :)

 
At 12:44 AM, Blogger Balaji said...

prakash, good one... atleast i got the nose part right :)
nice catch ram...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home