Saturday, January 28, 2006

My New Razr


I am not a cell phone aficionado. I'm happy with a phone that does the basic job of allowing me to carry on an uninterrupted conversation with someone. I never understood the need for all the bells and whistles like web access, camera, video recorder, etc. on cell phones. If I could clearly hear whoever was on the other end and they could hear me just as clearly, I was a happy man. So once the carrier was selected, one phone was as good as the next(they all provided the basic features anyway) and the least expensive one was what I went for.

But even for someone like me, the Motorola Razr V3 held a special appeal. Almost unbelievably thin and sleek, it was the only phone that made me go "Whoa! Now that looks cool" when I saw it in the stores. And its distinctive shape and construction made sure it was noticed when someone at work pulled it out of their pocket and flipped it open.

When we recently went in for new cell phones, the Razrs were out of stock since they were understandably hot items during Christmas. Both my wife and I eventually went in for Sony Ericsson phones(why? see the first paragraph!). But the phones were pieces of junk. They seemed to have minds of their own when it came to when they should ring and the camera button was so awkwardly placed that I ended up turning the camera on whenever I flipped the phone open. My wife, never the procrastinator, exchanged it within a week for a Nokia but I finally got around to it only today, just a few days before the deadline to exchange the phone. At the store though, the Razrs were back in stock and I took that as a sign. I finally gave in to the temptation and indulged myself by buying a Razr.

It is really sleek and feels pretty light in my pocket. And it seems to be loaded with features, if the bulky manual is anything to go by. Now I just gotta see if it works well too...

12 Comments:

At 2:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you have been a nokia user, you might find the messaging needs some getting used to. In singapore we have the hot pink version. I'm using that one and it never fails to make people take notice.

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Vidya said...

I was planning to buy this one.. But my only reservation was that it is a flip type and not a candybar model. But your review looks good.. Maybe I should get it.. And I agree with your Sony Ericcson comment. I have one too :)

 
At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

inge vidunge...madras-la indha tharava porchey paatheney...it's quite irritating (!!) when a pretty girl, in the middle of a conversation (with yours truly, of course), picks up her cell phone (which rings to the tune of some popular tamil song) and say, "hi perimaa...innaikki kaalaila paati vada sutta kadhai sonnaa. unge kitte enna kadhai sonnaa?"
inge naan oruthan kutthukallu madhiri okkandhundrukken... vadai sutta kadhai, pizza thinna kadhai elaam pesanuma? idhukku nadool keen-keen nu oru soundu...ena daa-nu paathaa, edhaachu oru naayu SMS anupchurupaan, "tiffin-ku enna saapta? naan oothapam." oothappam-aa? soo...venaam, kovamaa vardhu!!
cell phones make u way too accessible to everyone!! of course, the story's different when you're on the cell phone and there's a girl at the other end saying, "hi daa...innaikki kaalaila paati..."
:)

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Aatma said...

Congrats Balaji on Razor - I have one for the past 6 months - Its a good phone. Enjoy :)

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger Balaji said...

venkat, my wife feels the same way :)

sirnapper, don't think i'll ever miss not being able to connect external memory devices! so it should have no drawback for me :)

anon, actually my prev fone was a moto too. so no transition pains :)

vidya, i was only looking @ flip fones. so no contest :)

ram, LOL. i noticed that on my last trip too. cell phones r really ubiquitous.

aatma, i plan to :)

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger Me too said...

Cool that you found your favourite model in stock at the last minute!!
I hardly know the make or the model or the features of my cell phone but during my trip to India, every college kid simply 'alasified' it! And with hands-free, you won't know if someone is still talking to you or on their cell phone(when they are not sending/receiving SMSsss!)!

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger Orange Fronkey said...

Cell phones are eeeevil..

 
At 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Believe it or not I live in the stone age! (well, that is what my friend said when I told him that I do not have a cell phone).

 
At 7:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am here because of search results for blogs with a related topic to mine.
Please,accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
I have a wireless retail market site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

 
At 1:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog I found to be very interesting!
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
I have a wireless web access
site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

 
At 12:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! » »

 
At 10:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home