Wednesday, June 01, 2005

M & M


[Pics Courtesy Sify]

Mammootty is going to don the role of Sethurama Iyer, the CBI officer, for the fourth time as the actor's Oru CBI Diary Kurippu is going to have its 3rd sequel. Though I had a seen a couple of Mammootty's films before, I consider CBI Diary Kurippu to be my real introduction to the actor. I saw the film at Safire theater in Madras, where it had a record run and singlehandedly spawned a whole new market for Malayalam films. The actor played the role of the betel-chewing, Tamil-speaking Palghat Brahmin so casually and coolly that I became an immediate fan. I have since seen the film several times and it still works as a fast-paced, intelligent thriller with sharp dialogs and great background music. I just wish they would release it on DVD. Which reminds me... I need to check if the third installment, Sethurama Iyer CBI, is out on video yet.

Mohanlal, after playing a 73-year old man in Udayon, is going for another appearance change in his next film. In Naran, he is playing a villager with curly hair, light eyes, twirled moustache, a stubble, bullet pendant around his neck, sleeveless vest and a crumbled dhoti. The character is supposed to have a few shades of grey too.

So its gonna be Sethurama Iyer vs Naran for Onam 2005 in Kerala!

4 Comments:

At 2:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hardly remember a thing about CBI Diary Kurippu except for my Mum and Aunt going gaga over Mamooty's looks!!

Sapphire Theatre--> oh my gosh, it pisses me off whenever I cross the Anna Flyover...wasnt JJ the one who bought it and destroyed it...bloody b----...it was an awesome complex...one of the best in Chennai...

 
At 11:41 PM, Blogger Balaji said...

i dont think there was any woman who saw mammootty in that film and didnt go ga-ga over him!

yeah, safire, blue diamond(with the continuous shows) and emerald were the 3 in the complex. safire was a really nice, big theater. i think i saw star wars there.

JJ demolished it for the office but now the office isnt there either is it? the land is just lying waste??

 
At 3:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

if she ever builds a "Jaya Theatre" there, i will be the first one to pelt it with stones...i think sapphire was brought down sometime in the mid 90s itself...all those years of being deprived of classy malayalam movies...

just as an aside, i think my best mallu experience has been Iyer the Great...I think it was a fantastic film with an awesome performance by Mohammad Kutty!

 
At 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

she bought sapphire to build admk headquarters. Later she didnt build it due to vastu concerns and a vow to take over arivalayam for that purpose.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home