Thursday, March 24, 2005

'Night'ly News


[Pic Courtesy Rediff]

For me, the best part of this news item about Night. M. Shyamalan switching studios from Disney to Warner, was that I finally learnt what his next venture was going to be! Titled Lady in the Water, the movie supposedly centers on the superintendent of an apartment building who finds a sea nymph swimming in the pool, setting in motion unexpected events! Quite a unusual plot that seems to have shades of Tom Hanks' Splash.

Like most viewers, I heard of Shyamalan only after his breakout hit Sixth Sense. The two movies he made before that, Praying with Anger and Wide Awake, have been on my to-see list for quite a while but I still haven't gotten around to renting them (Wide Awake is on my queue at Netflix but they don't seem to have Praying with Anger). I've liked the brooding atmosphere he brings to his movies, his knack at creating successful(and never overdone) 'boo' moments as well his ability in generating subtle humor in the most unexpected situations (this was most on display in Signs). Ofcourse I've also enjoyed the big final twist, which has kind of become his calling card, though they have become increasingly forced since the big twist at the end of Sixth Sense.

1 Comments:

At 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with your take on his style of filmmaking but I've also felt that his movies have become increasingly preposterous too. From the believable scenario (atleast sticking to movie logic) of "Sixth Sense" to the sheer stupidity of "The Village," he's gone quite a distance down the spook route.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home