Monday, March 21, 2005

What is Vikraman upto these days?

Poove Unakkaaga, one of my favorite Tamil cinema romances, was shown on Sun TV yesterday. I found it as romantic, hilarious and touching as the first time I saw it proving that it still has not aged. It also made me wonder what Vikraman was upto these days.

I have always liked Vikraman more than the average viewer and critic. The positive, life-affirming and optimistic outlook of his films has in most cases managed to overcome the simplistic nature of his plots and his technically ordinary filmmaking. But not much has been heard about him since his last film Priyamaana Thozhi, which was a dud at the box-office. Interestingly, the Telugu version that he made simultaneously was a hit. This naturally led him to remake another of his movies but that one, a remake of the Surya starrer Unnai Ninaithu, was a washout. Is this going to bring him back to Tamil? Are there still any takers for his style of films? I know there's atleast one!

5 Comments:

At 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vikraman's movies definitely are life-affirming, without an exception but I feel that he's become quite predictable with his yarns that revolve around saccharine sweet characters and situations that do not have a semblance of reality...not to forget S.A. Rajkumar's repetitive "La la la"-s in the name of background music...I think Vikraman lost his way after "Vaanathai Pola" (no classic but had a few beautifully written scenes).

 
At 8:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

were you talking about Poove Unakkaga? The Vijay starrer or another movie?

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger Balaji said...

While I don't think its even possible for Vikraman to provide a masala movie, he definitely has to make an attempt to be different. But he has set such tight and restrictive boundaries for himself that I don't think he can offer something different within those boundaries. Btw, I think it was after my review of 'Vaanathai Pola' that I received the most number of emails criticizing my rating(I gave it 3 stars)!

Yes, I was talking about the Vijay starrer 'Poove Unakkaaga. Thanks. I have corrected the post also.

 
At 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for reminding me...to criticize you! yes, the 3-star rating for vaanatha pola was too much (yeah, yeah, its only your not-so-humble opinion!). and for a reviewer who likes subtlety, I was surprised that you found Aanandham lacking something that the 2*Vijaykanth "classic" had.

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger Balaji said...

ram, the very fact that you mention 'Aanandham' in the same post as 'Vaanathai Pola' is exactly the reason for my ratings difference. I liked 'Aanandham' but got a feeling of "seen it before" while watching it, especially when one of the daughters-in-law is problematic. But 'Vaanathai Pola' was unique in the way everyone in the family was depicted as good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home