Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Simple Pleasures

Looking back, it is easy to remember life’s big pleasures. The big moments that had a significant impact on our lives and maybe even determined the direction the rest of our lives took. Gaining admission in college. Getting the visa to come to the US. Getting married. Becoming a dad. Getting a promotion. Watching the latest Rajni movie :-) Such moments are imprinted in our minds forever.

But as we enjoy (or look forward to enjoying) these big moments, we tend to forget that life throws up so many little pleasures too. Pleasures that get a raw deal and are usually dismissed rather unfairly as alpa sandhoshangal. So this post is dedicated to these li’l fellas. The things listed here may not have a big impact on my life. But for atleast a few seconds, they make me feel on top of the world. And that makes my day just a li’l bit better…

- See the traffic light turn to green just as I near the intersection so that I don't have to hit the brakes

- See the cutie at work park her car and walk to the door at the exact same time as me so that she smiles and says "Hi"

- Settle down at work to see no new (business) emails / phone messages

- Open up my personal email and see a bunch of comments for my latest post :-)

- Learn after coming to work that all managers are at an offsite meeting for the entire day

- See a car pull out from the spot closest to the mall/theater/office just as I drive up

- Parallel park on the first try

- Spot a customer return a brand-new movie I really wanna see just as I am walking out of the video store empty-handed

- Come to know of someone coming from India just when the current stock of thengappodi is about to run out

- Get a coupon through email for the exact item I’ve been thinking about buying (this happened to me today and I bought this)

- Wake up in the middle of the night, see that it’s just 2 o’clock and that the baby’s fast asleep, and go back to sleep :-)

13 Comments:

At 12:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet post. To add more

1. Wake up at around 3 AM to find that you have another 3 hrs of sleep left :-D
2. Get a 'I Love you' text message when you are in middle of a stressful meeting :-)
3. When someone mails you saying that they like your blog(All the more fun if it is a gujili)
4. When your mom tastes the food cooked by you and say its delicious :-)
and many more...

 
At 4:16 AM, Blogger NS said...

So sweet...:)
so true... these things get lost amidst all the other pressures of life!!! love the first one by ferrari... so true! i experience it everyday..:D

 
At 4:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

chooooo chweet... I can correlate myself with most of them. Let me add my little pleasures:

----See a latest publication in a hot journal and find my work being quoted there.

----Receive a surprise e-mail from a old school/college friend

----Find my name in the 'Acknowledgement' section of the talks given by the colleagues

Life is full of many more such things, as you said, we better fly in the air for few more extra minutes.

 
At 5:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

-- when ur child hugs u for no reason at all , and when u ask why, says "I like ur face so much, Amma. It is the best face in the world."

-- when u arrive at work worried abt that project u gotta finish that day and someone says, "u r looking so nice today! is that a new outfit ?"

-- curling up with a good book and a bottle of hazelnut choco spread ;-)

-- trying out a new & unfamiliar recipe, and have it come out tasting wonderful

 
At 8:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BB,
Bulls eye on parallel parking!

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger anantha said...

BB: Come to know of someone coming from India just when the current stock of thengappodi is about to run out
Neenalum thenga podi rasigan a? :D
I did not open my stock for 2 months (it was in the freezer all this time) waiting for that rainy day! Then today i realized, keeping it in the freezer is not going to help and I opened part of the stock :D
For the last three years, whenever someone I know is coming from India, the only thing I ask of my parents is homemade thengai podi and Ambika Appalam's paruppu podi! Aaahhh, life's simple pleasures...

 
At 9:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

opening your blog and finding a new post.
SK.

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Balaji said...

prabhu, very sweet additions. #2 neraiya nadakkumo? :)

raju, brainy guy like u i'm sure u get #1 and #3 a lot :)

ruchi, long time no hear! very nice ones. but #1 is more like a big pleasure right? :)

 
At 12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

--> waking up on a saturday morning at 8:00, realizing that i dont have to go2 work, and going back to bed, only to get up at 11:00...!

--> wishing a friend on his/her b'day and hear them say, "card romba sweet-aa irundhudhu"

--> hug my amma n appa @ the airport, whenever i visit them...

--> receive an e-mail from a friend when there's absolutely nothing to talk about! u know, the "just wanted to say Hi" kinda mails...

--> watching Jo in Oru Ooril or Aish in Aayrithal Naan Oruvan...

--> hearing my "sisters" say, "yaen daa tension aagara!"

--> Getting lunch on a Friday afternoon, on payday! i usually wade into it (whatever the cuisine is) like a man possessed...

--> and, gotta give at least one to bbthots: be the first one to post a comment! (not 2day though...!)

 
At 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really enjoyed reading every single one of them. Keep up the good work.

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger Balaji said...

anti, BIG BIG thengapodi rasigan! check out the '7 things i can't do' in the tag post.
and situation's the same for me. since we pretty much get everything else @ the indian stores, thengapodi and parupupodi r the only items i ask for too :)

sk, thats a nice one. thanks :)

ram, that 1st one would've definitely been on my list before i had kids :) #3 soooper :)

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger Ram C said...

Wake up in the middle of the night, see that it’s just 2 o’clock and that the baby’s fast asleep, and go back to sleep :-)

-- what a wonderful feeing? I love it.. :-)

 
At 1:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Friend! I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please make a visit to my stock ticker site.
Good luck in your endeavors!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home