Thursday, February 14, 2008

3 Favorite Kamal Romantic Song Sequences

The last 2 years, I marked Valentine's Day with some special posts. The first year saw a list of my favorite romantic tracks in Tamil movies and last year, I listed my favorite romantic movies in Tamil cinema. Work's been a little too busy for me too compose any such lists today but I didn't want the day to go by without any special posts at all. Since I marked Rajni's birthday with my favorite song sequences, I thought I'd do the same with romantic songs and list my favorite romantic song sequences.

It didn't take long for me to realize that that was way too ambitious. So I decided to come up with some criterion for restricting the list. As far as Tamil cinema goes, the word romance is almost synonymous with Kamalhassan. Considering that I haven't made any other list with Kamal, a list of his songs seemed liked a good place to start. But then even ordering my favorite Kamal songs turned out to be an uphill task. I mean, I couldn't really decide where I would place Sundari Neeyum... or Nee Oru Kaadal Sangeetham... or Poongaatril Un Per Solla... or Endhan Nenjil.... And I hadn't even considered movies from the early 80s yet! But one thing I was sure about was the three songs that would take the top 3 spots on that list. So I finally decided to make things easier for me and simply write about those 3 songs.

3. Valaiyosai Kalakalakalavena... (Sathya)



I've always said this is one non-dance number that has been expertly choreographed. Amala aside, my favorite aspect of the song is the way Kamal-Amala's normal, everyday movements have been picturized perfectly in sync with the music. From Kamal catching the bug to Amala reacting to his tickling to their swaying in the bus, each of their actions is transformed to a dance set to music. Right from that first kiss, Kamal is at his romantic and playful best and Amala looks gorgeous.

2. Enna Satham Indha Neram... (Punnagai Mannan)



Rarely have romance and passion been portrayed so well in Tamil cinema. Kamal and Rekha are lovers who want to experience everything that life offers in the few minutes they have and this adds intensity and urgency to their time together. That is beautifully expressed in this number. Ilaiyaraja surpassed himself in a song that oozes melody and SPB's voice complemented it perfectly. The locations are spectacular.

1. Andhi Mazhai... (Rajapaarvai)



My all-time favorite song, this is one of those rare songs where everything comes together beautifully. Kamal and Madhavi wander around with the kind of wild abandon that comes only from young love and the scenery is bright and colorful. Kamal in particular is fabulous and I still remember how refreshing his natural portrayal of blindness(like the way he looks for Madhavi who is behind him) was after all those performances where blindness meant wide eyes and frequent blinking. The music and tune are glorious and SPB's smooth voice is mellifluous. The lyrics take one's breath away with their imagination (indhiran thottathu mundhiriye), imagery(thanneeril nirkumboadhe verkkindradhu) and wordplay(imaigaLum sumaiyadi iLamayile).

15 Comments:

At 12:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every song for Kamal seem to have "aesthetics" written all over it - lyrics, music, locations, dance / movements, costumes, choreography etc etc.

From the 80's thru 90's till now, his musical collaborations with the maestro stands apart from all others - from as early as Raaja Parvai to, as recent memory serves, Virumaandi. His romantic numbers and his portrayal of the romantic hero has always been a class act in sublimal love.

 
At 12:52 AM, Blogger Bart said...

An interesting choice of topic :)
Some more Kamal's nice romantic numbers that hit the mind immediately (in no particular order) are:
1) Idhazhil Kadhai ezhuthum (unnal mudiyum thambi)
2) Unnai vida (Virumandi)
3) Nee oru kaadhal sangeetham (Nayagan)
4) Endhan nenjil (Kalaignan)
5) Poongatru pudhiranadhu (Moondrampirai) - though this may not exactly be a romantic song
6) Kanmaniye Pesu (Kaaki chattai)

One common thread with all the songs is Maestro :) He has been the lifeline of Tamil Cinema from mid 70s to early 90s..

 
At 4:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

bb, what exactly does 'indhiran thottathu mundhiriye' mean? Everytime I hear the song, I wonder about if the lyricist just put some words in to make it rhyme, or if it actually means something ...

As for the earlier posters, yes, Kamal is a class act, and also a crass act. The songs you guys have named are the class part, but some of his songs are just so cheap ...

 
At 6:01 AM, Blogger Munimma said...

Similar, except my second one would be replaced by chippi irukkuthu, with my all time favorite pair.

prakash, saathaarana munthiri illai, divine munthiri ;-) Jokes apart, diamond king's lyrics have been mystifying for some of us, at times. Think of maasi maasam aalaana ponnu.

 
At 6:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Varumaiyin Niram Sivappu song "Chipppi Irukkudhu muthum Irukkudhu".. This song is the treat to watch & listen. Where are those song lyricists ?

Pushpa

 
At 7:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Balaji:

Your list is good. There are quite a few other songs (from Apoorva Ragangal to his latest film come to mind).

As mentioned by some folks above, I think "Anthi mazhai pozhigirathu" is an excellent song but the I always feel that the lyrics for this song by (otherwise great) Vairamuthu very vague and meaningless! (thanneerukku thagam, suriyanukkum sudum .... just non-sensical in every sense of the word!). Actually Kamal-ji wanted Vairamuthu for this movies, saying: "I want "vaanam enakkoru podhi maram" kavinger for this movie - This was revealed by Kamal himself!

Anyways, my FAVORITE song of all time is "Kanmani anbodu....." from GUNA (which is an ICONIC movie itself!). Simple lyrics, hauntic voices and soulful, touching music - only Mastro Ilayaraj can do it!!

 
At 8:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

bb, god bless! finally a list that involves my idol! very nice descriptions too...will comment in more detail later...

 
At 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

here's my list of kamal's romantic numbers/songs oozing love:

- sippi irukudhu muthum irukudhu...

- kamban yemaandhaan...

- of course, "andhi mazhai" (very nicely written, BB) and "azhagil azhagu devadhai" from "raja paarvai"

- "devi sri devi" - the cutest pair of the 80s in a funnnnnn number...

- "kanney kalaimaaney"- not romantic in the traditional sense but is there a line better than this, depicting "true" love - unakey uyiraanen enaallum enai nee maravaadhey...(very poignant how "enaallum enai nee maravaadhey" becomes "inaallil enai nee marandhaye" in the climax)

- "vanithaamani" - kamal, veshamam!!!! ;-)

- "nee oru kadhal sangeetham" - an interesting anecdote: i'd gone to mumbai with my wife for a visa-related issue...apo gateway of india-laam poirukarchey, i was like, "nandu, inge thaan kamal, 'kadarkarai kaatre vazhiyai vidu, devadhai vandhaall enodu'-nu paaduvan"-nu solli my wife got a good taste of the crazy kamal fan in me

- idhazhil kadhai ezhudhum neram idhu- two extremely good looking people, lost in love...

- every song from punnagai mannan...my fav is "singalathu sinnakuyile..." used to love that ind-suzuki that we had in our house, coz kamal drove a red ind-suzuki in this movie!

- kannmani anbodu...here's my description of that song (from my review):

Illayaraja's "Kanmani Anbodu" is literally and figuratively a visual poem. It is a mesmerizing tune and the way Kamal's lines are sung by S. Janaki (in chaste Tamil) creates magic on the ears, senses and the heart of the listener. There are two lines which by themselves should've fetched the bard (Vaali) an award--

Enthan Kaadhal Ennavendru Sollaamal Yaenga Yaenga Azhugai Vandhadhu...

Enthan Soagam Unnai Thaakum Endrennum Pozhudhu Vandha Azhugai Nindradhu.

-- rambambam aarambam... - i know its not a very romantic number but i just love the fact that it conveys kamal's enthu sooo well...

-- inji idupazhagaa...

-- endhan nenjil...vaali irukaarey, nalla varnanai expert!

"paniyil nanaiyum maargazhi poove...enai nee pirindhaal edhoru vaazhve...!"

-- "nee paartha paarvaikoru nandri"- beauuuuuuuuuuuutifully picturized romantic number...

-- "poo vaasam" (Music Director Vidyasagar comes up with a haunting melody in “Poo Vaasam.” The song picturization is beautifully done with Kamal and Kiran literally swaying to the tune, near the huge canvas. Cinematographer Arthur Wilson comes up with a glorious shot on the banks of the river--the sun shining on the waters is a sight to behold. )

-- una vida...

 
At 12:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

adeda ram.enna oru long-ana post. i loved the anecdote on NAYAGAN song.kudutha vaicha wife since i simply adore kamal too. =D

i'm 19 and my friends are from my age group and they prefer younger heroes..as for me kamal and rajni are the unbeatables..right na balaji?

-rathi-

 
At 8:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ram..can't believe you left out Swasame and Porkalam from "Nethili"

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Me too said...

My list too would include "Chippi irukkudhu" along with "Andhi mazhai". Somehow I love the Instrumental in Punnagai Mannan the best!

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Narayanan Venkitu said...

Yeah I agree. wonderful songs, great lyrics IR at his best!

 
At 7:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

anon, LOL...kindal thaane idhu!

me too, here's what i'd written abt the instrumental piece in my review of punnagai mannan:

But what stands tall among these peaks is the 'theme music' that plays for about three minutes in the scene where Kamal and Revathi 'unite' in love. This dance sequence is an absolutely mesmerizing, aesthetic piece. Kamal's graceful steps synchronize so well with the tune and the rise to the crescendo when they eventually hold each other in their arms is unforgettable. Attaboy!

www.geocities.com/ram_aishoo/favs.html

 
At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those three are lovely songs. As many already pointed out, I would slip in "Chippi irukkudhu muththum irukkudhu" in my list!

 
At 7:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Songs sung by Kamal himself will be a great addition to this:

1. Ninaivo Oru Paravai
2. Sundari Neeyum Sundaran Naanum
3. Inji Iduppalazhi
4. Onna VIda

 

Post a Comment

<< Home