Saturday, October 08, 2005

Tech Question

This morning, I replaced the old DVD drive on my computer with the spanking new, DVD+/-, dual layer writer from Sony. The jumper setting is on CS select(as it was on the drive I replaced). When I switched the computer on, XP helpfully told me it recognized a new Sony DVD drive through the pop-up on the taskbar. The device manager shows the DVD drive and I'm even able to burn DVDs using Nero. So far so good.

But when I use Windows Explorer or My Computer, the DVD drive is not listed. Auto run CDs I pop in there do not get launched either.

This is just a minor irritation since I'm able to burn DVDs and I do have another CD-ROM drive for reading CDs. But it just seems weird and is driving me crazy. Any ideas?

3 Comments:

At 11:06 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

i am no expert. but i had the same problem when i moved my computer from one room to another. i tried the trouble shooting guide on windows explorer and it said "all drives working normally" . then surprisingly i go back to explorer and there it was !!

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Balaji said...

yep, thats exactly what the trouble shooting guide says too. and the fact that i can burn dvds shows it IS working normally. but tried explorer a few times and still not showing up. maybe itll show up after the next reboot... summaava sonnanga when all else fails, reboot!

 
At 10:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was about to post the same suggestion as Prasanna did. Creating a logical drive might solve the problem.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home