Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Vinayaka Chathurthi


While Diwali might be my favorite festival, the festival of choice for my taste buds is definitely Vinayaka Chathurthi. The vella kozhukattai is my favorite festival eat and easily beats out the Krishna Jayanthi seedais, the Karthigai poris, the Diwali neiyappams and the all-festival paayasams. The mere sight of the distinctively shaped(I guess we can think of them as white balls with tiny party hats!) eats huddled together on a plate sets my mouth watering and I usually end up eating an insane number of them. Truly ambrosia for the palate.

Ofcourse, while the gastronomic memories are the most vivid, they are not the only ones associated with Vinayaka Chathurthi. Shopping for the clay Vinayakar idol; picking the most colorful kudai to shade him; fighting with my brother over who drops the idol in the well in our backyard; watching the immersion of the huge Vinayaka idols in the sea on the news – all those memories come flooding back on each Vinayaka Chathurthi and today is no exception. No wonder I miss Chennai the most on festival days…

Happy Vinayaka Chathurthi everyone!

10 Comments:

At 1:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm.. Balaji, unga varnanai-yile nakkellam echi ooruthu. Yeah, when I was young, there were only the colorless clay pillayars. We used to stand in the queue early in the morning and get the fresh Ganesh made right in front of our eyes. The fun part is making the 'moonjooru' with the clay that we get for that. When 'color' pillayars came, they were interesting at first, but they were so hard and already made so the fun went off.

 
At 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Balaji,
Are we invited for some Kozhukattais today?

SK.

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger mitr_bayarea said...

Balaji,
wonderful description that has an impact on my taste buds, am going to get home after work this evening and do some kozhakatais,was thinking along those lines, but now i know that i will do it. Visit my blog on the same topic-Happy Vinayaka Chathurthi.

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger Chitra said...

Yep, by far my favorite as well. I love kozhakattai!

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Kumari said...

I sure miss those days :(
Tried my hand at making kozhukattais and barely passed.
Anyways, i dropped by to say thou art tagged :)

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Balaji said...

gp, don't think i've ever done that... make the moonjuru... been buying the pillayarsas long as i can remember :)

SK, will chk with MIL :)

mitr, good idea. whats vinayaka chathurthi without kozhukattais?!

missy, join the club :)

kumari, pass thaane. then no worries :)

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger Munimma said...

I have postponed the party to Sunday due to lack of time :-( This is the first V.C that I have not done anything. I love doing the sweet and kara kozhuks.
I remember those trips to hunt for the best pillaiyar and the best kodai to go along. green memories indeed :-)

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger ada-paavi!!!! said...

kolukattai r good, true this is fetival for taste buds,

Ps, have listed a few more actor-director combos have a look,

 
At 11:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Visited my folks last night and got about half-a-dozen KKs. The dog got 2. My Mom's promised to make more this weekend :)

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger Balaji said...

thanx to the mother-in-law, had my fill of uppu and vella KKs yesterday :-) yummy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home