Thursday, May 21, 2009

Need and Want

Last weekend, we went shopping for Karthik and one of the things we bought for him was a pair of sunglasses (he looks darn smart wearing them but that's a topic for another post :). Kavya, as usual, was quiet through the entire shopping spree, not asking for anything for herself and just playing with her brother and selecting his dresses with enthusiasm. But, when she saw his sunglasses, she finally confessed that she would like a pair too. We walked into another store to get them but couldn't really find the right pair for her and since it was getting late, we ended the shopping trip after promising her that we would buy her a pair real soon.

But with regular life taking over once Monday started, we never had a chance to go to any store again. When the hot weather came up again in conversation between her mom and her, her mom apologized to her for not getting her the sunglasses yet. Kavya replied "Its OK amma. Its not something I need, its just something I want. So its no big deal. There's no hurry." That definitely wasn't the answer I was expecting. While I myself, at times, have a tough time deciding if what I'm thinking of buying is something I need or something I want, I was really surprised that Kavya was so clear about her priorities.

For the most part, Kavya's a typical 7 1/2-year old. She is easily distracted, she fights with her little brother, she gets upset real easily, she gets angry at us and so on. But then she says something so sweet, so mature that it makes me realize that my little girl can be a real grown-up too.

17 Comments:

At 4:06 AM, Anonymous Namitha said...

Bless the baby!

You should be really proud, most seven year olds are the definition of brats.

 
At 4:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a spark of wisdom even if it's little early for the age!
Post a picture of her, Sir.
Love to the kid!

 
At 8:11 AM, Blogger ரவிஷா said...

//But then she says something so sweet, so mature that it makes me realize that my little girl can be a real grown-up too.//
What do you mean? In the next few years she is going to tell/do things that you haven't even heard/aware of. And you would still be saying the same thing "My little girl is not grown up but acts like a grown up"!

God bless.

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger karthik sp said...

for those words...

you must have to buy the glass very soon

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Kumari said...

awwww...hugs to the li'l girl :)
Why do they grow up so fast? :(

 
At 5:34 PM, Anonymous ram said...

bb, that was so adorable...and, this is the kid that once asked you, "why is it called a kitchen counter?!"
here's a short trip down memory lane:
http://bbthots.blogspot.com/2006/01/phunny-phonics.html

 
At 8:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a mature girl! The credit goes to the parents.

 
At 12:06 AM, Blogger Sreekrishnan said...

Did a Seven and half year utter those words? I wouldnt say that even now.. and this gives me a complex... wish i could go back to 7 and be a bit smarter !

 
At 12:13 AM, Blogger Balaji said...

namitha, thanx! kavya's never been a brat but this was a pleasant surprise to me too :)

anon, thanx!

ravi, oh yeah, i know! she'll always be daddy's li'l girl :)

karthik, mom bought it for her today :)

kumari, i know! but this is one time I wasn't complaining :)

ram, thanx! amazing the things u remember. i take those trips quite often :)

anon, thanx!

sreekrishnan, yep, if i said that i probably wouldn't have half the electronics i items i have today :)

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger B o o said...

How sweet is that! I often(ok, all the time!) feel like a hypocrite when I talk to my daughter about sharing, giving, reusing, etc... God bless these kids for being the good kids they are in spite of us! ;)

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Kay said...

Buy her a cute, expensive pair of sunglasses! For a 7 yr old to say that is very rare. Most kids are still immature at that age... I myself still have tug of wars between my needs and wants. Unfortunately (or is it fortunately!!!!!), my wants always win! Ha ha ha!

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger PVS said...

Wow, a seven year old saying this? Kudos to you and your wife...you have instilled the right thots in her.

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger Balaji said...

boo, i know! if i followed all the advice i gave my kids, i'd be a saint :)

kay, yep, she got them. and I think want always wins for us. its only when it comes to the kids that we tell about need and want :)

pvs, thanx! though i'm not sure how much was done by us :)

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger rajesh said...

balaji,
this is raapi..sorry for the completely unrelated post.

did you watch danush movie padikadhavan? I never saw a review from you about that.

habbaaa..thaanga mudiila..was wondering how your review would have been for that movie :)

-Raapi

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger Balaji said...

raapi, that was one I missed reviewing cos of time constraints. i liked it better than most reviews though. then again, that might've been the after-effects of 'villu' :)

 
At 2:03 AM, Blogger Funtabulous said...

balaji.....that was really sweet and mature of Kavya...The kids teach us what we fail to practise ourselves....I see that happen with my lil girl.....Proud moments arent they??!!!!!

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Balaji said...

funtabulous, oh definitely. the great thing is, its one of many when it comes to kavya :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home